Ah Diwali! The festival of lights that ushers in a period of merriment – a time to revel in the company of loved ones, dress up in finery and of course gorge on delicious dishes! With an envious spread of Diwali sweets, snacks, and other indulgent recipes all week , it is perfectly normal for the average person to pack in an extra few in unwanted places.
But don’t fret! There is relief on hand because we are rolling out valuable nuggets of Diwali information. With a little bit of planning we can ensure healthy eating during the festive season for your families and for yourself.
Here are a few important tips to enjoy the festival without compromising on your health –
- Exercise early on: With evenings being the most hectic time of the day, it’s good to get in your stretching and exercise early on. Begin the day with a walk in the park or by doing few asanas. Suryanamaskar is the best way to fight exhaustion.
- A healthy breakfast is important: Having a healthy, high fiber breakfast is essential to ensure high energy throughout the day. There’s always last-minute things to do, people to meet and arrangements to make. Get your energy boost first thing with muesli, fruits, eggs, seeds or a superfood smoothie.
- Water is your best friend: Truly! Drink a minimum of 3 liters water everyday. It keeps you hydrated and avoids unnecessary snacking and food cravings. A lot of the time when you think you’re hungry, your body is actually craving hydration. And of course, if there’s alcohol involved, it’ll help keep away those dreaded hangovers.
- Eat before you leave: This is a pro-tip that we use for the endless Diwali parties. Eat a healthy salad, fruits or soup before you leave for the night. This will keep you fuller, and less prone to gorge on the delicious, but unhealthy stuff later on.
- Buddy system: Rope in a friend, partner or anyone who has the same health goals as you and make a pact to keep the other in check. It’s always easier to stick to your resolve when there’s someone else doing it too, and looking out for you.
We hope these simple tricks help you have a more energetic, fun and healthy festive week! Coming up next on our blog – healthy recipes for parties and entertaining guests. Stay tuned.