If you’re anything like us, and can never decide whether to go for the Nutella, strawberries, maple syrup or ice-cream (or all of them) with your waffles, this is the ultimate solution.
Waffles have been a brunch staple for ages, and every household has their go to recipe. The beauty of these waffle pops lies in their presentation not composition! By making regular waffles bite-sized and portable, the scope for variation in toppings is endless. Here’s our favourite recipe to get the crispiest waffles known to mankind before we get our creative juices flowing with the toppings.
You will need:
- 3/4 cups flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1+1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Combine the dry ingredients – flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar – in a bowl and mix well. In a separate bowl, beat the egg yolk with a fork and add the milk, oil and vanilla. Add this mixture to the dry ingredients and let the mixture sit for 20-30 minutes. In the meanwhile, whip the egg white still stiff peaks form and gently fold into the mixture right before spooning onto waffle iron. Cook until golden brown and crisp on the outside.
Once waffles are taken out and cooled enough to handle, take a biscuit cutter/katori/bowl or anything else and press them into the waffle to cut out even shapes. You can use your hands to break them into uneven shapes too, for a more rustic look. For the last step, gently slide in a lollipop stick or ice-cream stick (depending in the size of your cut-outs) and voila!
Foodstree Pro Tip:
Cornstarch in waffles? Yes! That’s one way to make them super crispy. The second is whipping the egg whites into stiff peaks. This helps to incorporate air into the batter, so that the waffle is light and fluffy from inside and crunchy on the outside.
Let’s get to the fun part! Once your basic pops are ready you can go wild with the toppings. After a lot of brainstorming, here are the Foodstree team’s favourite suggestions:
- Spicy Honey – Add some Siracha, Tabasco or Peri-Peri to honey in a 1:3 ratio and drizzle all over
- Vanilla Marshmallow – Melt vanilla flavoured Marshmelts and dip the pops into it. For some colour, use rainbow sprinkles on top.
- Oreo Cookie Mint – Slather in Oreo Cookie Butter, dip into crushed oreos and drizzle with mint chocolate sauce
- Cranberry Almond – spread some almond butter, and then roll onto dried cranberries. Drizzle with chocolate to finish off.
- Cereal Burst – Dip into honey, and cover in your favourite cereal – Frosties, Froot Loops, Chocos it’s up to you! Optional: Add nuts or chocolate drizzle
Remember – these pops are a blank slate! You can garnish, decorate them into whatever takes your fancy. Hint: these could be useful for theme-based occasions too as they’re so versatile. All ingredients can be found on Foodstree.